Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October Update

I started this blog when Henry was a baby. I have never blogged through a pregnancy. I am finding it very, very hard. My brain is the cliché of a pregnant woman’s brain. Every bit of creative power that I possess—and this is not a whole lot, mind you—seems to be flowing through the umbilical cord and into growing my new little guy. Oh, and what tiny bit is left is being maniacally directed into filling my freezer with pre-made meals. I am obsessed. So far, I have pesto, meat sauce, black bean/quinoa patties, bean and pasta bake, turkey potpie, spinach lasagna, beef bourguignon, and several different soups. Nesting for foodies!

Luke, while testing us at every turn with bad words and bad attitude, is doing really well overall. He has become a little bookworm lately, reading for long stretches on his own for fun. He loves his second grade teacher and was chosen to be on the “buddy team” at school, a group of kids assigned to help problem-solve on the playground should conflict arise. He even wears a little badge on Mondays when he is “on duty.”

Henry, though, is going through a rough patch. Yesterday he threw several tantrums. He had nearly lost his voice by the evening from so much screaming. And yet, still, he is my little softie. At the end of each tantrum, he would scream, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” And lest you think he has lost all his charm, I should note that his love of sparkly, colorful clothing has morphed into a love of products. He has lotions and potions of his very own. Just today he was trying to convince me to give him some of my nail polish. Preferably the hot pink.

This morning Henry and I put on our warm coats and went outside into the darkness to see if we could spot anything of the Orionid meteor shower. We didn’t see any meteors, but it was a pleasant way to start the day, sitting in the crisp darkness together gazing up at the sky.

October is going to be over soon. This baby is going to arrive before long. I have a feeling Henry's rough patch is going to be a long one. I'm going to try to make as many moments with him as I can for star gazing, for polishing his little boy nails in whatever color his heart desires.

3 comments:

Merry G said...

This is such a sweet, sweet post. Made my pregnant self cry. :) I, too, am having a hard time adjusting to the fact that my baby won't be my baby for much longer. I hope to channel your efforts in spending as much quality time with both of my boys before this third one comes along. Thanks for sharing, Ser.

so yung wilson said...

I've said this to you on several occasions already, but here goes. I completely sympathize and empathize with Henry (and Luke when he was more tantrum prone). I remember having overpowering emotions as a child (and sometimes even now although reason takes over a little more quickly now or they work themselves out faster). As much as it's not fun for the parent, it's definitely not a great place to be as the child either. So overpowering! If you find a trick to help him work through them, let me know ... I could use the info myself.

I don't think his fits of emotion make Henry any less charming. Rather, it demonstrates he has a passionate side which is not surprising since he is a Lamb, after all :-)

Wow, and Luke being CHOSEN for the buddy team. That's wonderful. Not surprising that he's in this leadership role. (I know, kind of gross to use those gross words on such a sweet kid, but even though I'm not pregnant, my mind is mush verging on consomme too.)

Thanks for the blog. And even if it doesn't feel creative, anything is better than silence on your blog. Simple factual sentences are enjoyable too.

Anonymous said...

I am glad mine is not the only boy testing with swear words. I got chewed out by Rilian's 1st grade teacher on Monday because he wrote "Spanish is a bich" in his Spanish notebook. She had no sense of humor about it, which was a bich.