Saturday, February 17, 2007

All These Winters


Yesterday, Luke and I were spending our much-loved "alone time" together while Henry was at his playgroup. Luke's mood always markedly improves the moment we walk out the door leaving Henry behind. This day was no different.

It was a bitterly cold day, and as we walked out the door, Luke picked up a big, dirty chunk of ice. "Mom, let's keep this and put it in our freezer to remember all these years by!" he said excitedly.

"Uh, okay, Luke," was my reply. "But what are we going to remember with the ice?"

"All of these winters," he answered decidedly.

Okay, then. I'm not sure what Luke has in mind. I'm envisioning something like saving the top layer of wedding cake, breaking it out of the freezer a year later to eat it and celebrate one year gone by. It has been terribly cold out for so long--maybe this winter itself feels like "all these winters." Frankly, we have all been in a funk for the last few days, cooped up in the house as we have been. I would rather forget this winter, to tell you the truth.

When we got home, we forgot about the ice hunk. I recovered it, half melted and sitting in a pool of grey water, and chucked the thing in the freezer. Maybe a year from now I'll remember this winter a bit more fondly. Right now I'm ready for spring.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Ser,
I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could discover yours. I like your writing, and your thoughts.

I hope you're getting the break in weather in Chicago that we're getting in South Bend. I have a theory that the weather shifts according to the liturgical calendar. Lent begins, the weather softens just a little, and spring feels slightly more within reach. It happens every year, at least in my imagination.

Jenny said...

Ser,

Did I ever mention that I love this image--the way Luke and Craig are standing is especially endearing, Luke, it seems, with one leg bent, as if he is really concentrating.

Jenny