Monday, February 05, 2007

The Force


Luke is really into board games lately. With the exception of Candyland and Chutes and Ladders, though, he cannot tolerate the rules. They are sometimes too confusing, but often it is just that Luke really, really likes to win.

I get it. I either must adopt a bored, distanced perspective on games or--truth be told, if I am to truly enjoy myself--I am out for blood. Craig loves to remind me of the time I threw a pair of dice at him when we were playing some game that we have long since forgotten. I was really mad, and the dice bounced off the window and wound up in someone's drink.

One game that we can play very successfully, though, is Star Wars Monopoly. Except that we don't really play it. We each pick a team of figurines, and then we fight. We randomly draw cards, take money when we like, buy ships when it suits us, and engage in numerous battles. Sometimes we throw the dice at the figurines and try to knock them down. Luke dictates the rules.

This game always ends the same way, though. All of the figurines have died, save for Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. Then Skywalker stabs Darth Vader, Darth Vader says, "Luke, I am your father," Skywalker says, "I know this to be true," and then he stabs his father. They profess their love for one another before Darth Vader dies.

I think it is the drama that Luke likes more than the rules, regulations, and chance of games. It is the playacting. And in Star Wars Monopoly, I think, it is the eternally fascinating oedipal struggle that entrances Luke. This kid, he likes drama and passion. He is a force to be reckoned with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.