Friday, February 23, 2007

My Lenten Form Letter

Dear Friends and Family,

Here it is, 4 a.m., and I am thinking of my lovely family and want to share with you all what we have been up to this first week of Holy Lent. We are doing well, and this time of Lent always emphasizes our strengths.

Henry is in bed sleeping. Meanwhile, the bacteria from all the breastmilk is hard at work on his already deteriorating enamel. While Craig put him to bed last night in order to try to keep his teeth clean after we brushed them, he awoke after 30 minutes to begin his all night nursing marathon. He prefers to remain latched on all night but, being the flexible guy that he is, he will settle for once-per-hour feedings at age 20 months.

Luke is lying in his bed awake, fondling Craig's ear. This is quite possibly a sign of a neurological disorder called sensory processing disfunction. Luke has been waking at 4 a.m. all week. His extreme exhaustion only highlights his unique personality, however, one that we understand much better now that his Waldorf school teacher told us in a conference that he was a warrior in his past life.

Craig may be finally finishing his PhD! He has sent out 50 job applications. However, he has had no positive responses to any of them, and the rejection tally is now up to 7. I found him just an hour ago on the couch watching televised poker and drinking a beer. However, I think his spirits remain good, as he is clearly focusing on Lent to keep him positive.

I was awoken 1, 421 times last night by Luke, Henry, Craig, and the 78 students that we live with. But don't worry--I am able to remain happy and focused despite my chronic exhaustion because I fuel myself with fatty, dairy-laden junk food every night. And I am looking forward to the one church service that I will attend this first week of Lent.

I hope you are all as happy and blessed as we are!

Love,
The Jacksons

3 comments:

Molly Sabourin said...

You are hilarious Ser! Reading your blog was my first decision of this day resulting in a genuine smile. I think your whole family is beautiful and brilliant! Your perseverance to keep getting out of bed is a Lenten offering of great significance.
Blessings to you!

Molly

Julia said...

I wonder what would happen if everyone's "dear friends and family" letters were this transparent. The world would be a better place.

Dove Knits said...

Well, hey, as long as all is going well!

I feel a bit bad laughing at this post, but remembger, I'm not laughing at your misfortunes -- just the way you presented them.

I hope the 4am nights stop and you all can finally get some well-deserved rest. Also praying for Craig's job hunt. He will find something, and soon.